Co-hosted by the UAE COP28 Presidency, Egypt, the Netherlands, Tajikistan, Stockholm International Water Institute, and UN-Water
This event, on the sidelines of the UN 2023 Water Conference, will facilitate an exchange on the link between water and climate, and identify important issues which could be raised in the context of the first Global Stocktake, which will conclude at COP28. This will also provide the opportunity to identify the priority actions that are needed to accelerate the water-climate nexus transformation and ‘course correct’ our current 2030 pathways.
Participants are invited to suggest 2-3 potential outcomes that the COP28 Presidency can help champion over the course of the next 12 months, as well as the coalitions and initiatives and actions in the Water Action Agenda that can enable this vital water-climate systems transformation to take place.
By investing in the resilience of our water resources, services and systems, we can reduce climate risks to people, ecosystems and economies. A triple transformation is required in order to succeed: the adequate protection of water resources, freshwater ecosystems and people; a water use revolution in the production of food and energy and the water infrastructure required to service cities, human settlements, and industries; and a paradigm shift in the reuse of water and wastewater.
• H.E. Mariam Almheiri, UAE Minister of Climate Change and Environment
• H.E. Mark Harbers, Minister of Infrastructure and Water Management, Netherlands
• H.E. Mr. Daler Juma, Minister of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Tajikistan
• H.E. Hani Sewilam (Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation, Egypt)
• Jaime de Bourbon de Parme (Climate Envoy of the Netherlands)
• Carolina Tornesi-MacKinnon (Climate and Water Youth Advocate)
• Cyril Courjaret (CEO, SUEZ International) – TBD
• Hasin Jahan (Head of Bangladesh, WaterAid) – TBD
• Hindou Ibrahim (IPO)
• Jan Kairel Guillermo (Youth Engagement Officer, WMO)
• Jane Madgwick (CEO, Wetlands International)
• Johanna Sumuvuori (Deputy Foreign Minister, Finland)
• Mafalda Duarte (CEO, CIF)
• Mark Watts (Executive Director, C40 Cities)
• Simon Stiell (Executive Secretary, UNFCCC)
• Torgny Holmgren (Executive Director, SIWI)
• Woochong Um (ADB, Managing Director General)
• Zi Han Xuan (Climate and Water Youth Advocate)